What is an Endodontist

An endodontist is a certified specialist with advanced training in diagnosing and treating the diseased or damaged pulp (soft inner tissues of the tooth). Endodontists spend at least an additional 2 years in a university graduate dental school and then pass rigorous qualifying exams to be recognized as certified specialists. In British Columbia you can tell if the dentist you have been referred to is an endodontist if he has the phrase “certified specialist in endodontics” after his name.

Certain endodontists who have achieved the highest level of education and clinical excellence are awarded a Fellowship in the Royal College of Dentists of Canada and the American Board of Endodontics. They will have the letters “FRCD(C) and Diplomate of the ABE” after their name.

You would be referred to Dr. Maguire because your treatment requires a specialized environment to obtain optimum results. By referring you to an endodontist like Dr. Maguire, your dentist is showing the highest level of concern for your dental health.